Wednesday, January 21, 2009

And it moved me to my soul...

I sat and watched, mostly in tears, the Inauguration of Barack Obama. If I was so moved by this just while sitting in my living room I can only imagine what those 2 million people were feeling yesterday. Yesterday we made history. Everyone. We did it together. We pulled together and erased what has been written for years past. Why did it take this long? Many reasons I guess; but that doesn't matter anymore. Here we are at the brink of a new beginning. Our children will grow up in a world different that we, a more positive and promising world. You know the song :" I believe the children are our future; teach them well and let them lead the way." I always loved that song, but sometimes it seemed so far off. We as parents can teach our children what we feel is right: honesty, equality, morality, liberality, etc. But how far can that go when they are locked down by the complete opposite of that? (Pres. Bush comes to mind, or ex I should say)
I know things are not going to change over night, but I am truly convinced that this world WILL be different for them in the years to come.
I had such a feeling of pride yesterday watching this moment in history, watching the face of a man that does breathe hope through the lungs of our country. That feeling of pride came from knowing that history does not always have to repeat itself. There is the ability for this great country to be what we all know that it can and should be.
If I have to hear one more ignorant remark about this, I have to say that I would like to pack them up and ship them right over to the war that they are supporting. And leave them. Forever.

1 comment:

mames said...

amen, sister. how are you? i am so beat but the p's are back this week. yay.