Sunday, October 26, 2008

Happy Birthday, Aimee

I am slowly in the process of a b-day present for Aimee...planned for it to be done by the actual date but it's looking like she may get it at my babes birthday party. Anyway, I thought now would be a good time to write about this person.

I'll start at the beginning. I met Aimee when I was pregnant with Zach. At this time, my "friends" decided my life was just way too different to carry on our friendship and I felt like the world had fallen from under me. Bill and I were trying to work out the kinks in our relationship and all was seeming so confusing. 

I remember it was in August when we met. Or maybe late July. I remember because I had been at Laura's all day sewing a blanket for my nephew. I remember this day so clearly. I don't know why. It was a Friday and Bill said we were not going to do anything. So, no makeup, no hair-did, nothing. last minute Bill calls and says he wants me to come meet some of his friends. What!? Now? I'm not ready, I can't go. Well, Bill insisted and I went. Prior to this, anytime I went out, it was a huge production. Right outfit? Check. Hair? Check. Make up? Check. Entourage?Check. And then, I met these new people. 

It was so different. they weren't like that. They really showed me how important real relationships are. Minus all the crap that doesn't matter ( make up, clothes, hair, etc.)

Aimee was there at Mike's, Knitting. Of course. At the time i didn't understand her obsess...er, love for knitting. She looked so happy, so comfortable. She wasn't trying to impress anyone, it seemed weird. anyone else that occupied the shallow places I used to go to always had an agenda. She didn't. That was clear. She showed so much interest in my pregnancy, in mamahood. ( Little did we know that the beans were soon to be cookin') I just liked her. A lot. i knew she was someone I wanted to know. Some time went by, I had Zach. and life just got in the way. We didn't talk . Then, I think it was when she had her babies, we met again. And that is where the friendship really grew. I think we just understood each other. We could talk about the difficulties we faced in being mamas. The joy of the rare occasions in sleeping past 6 am. First steps, first words. First signs of affection. Aimee is the first person who really understood that feeling when you get your first impromptu kiss. Others said they did, but I KNEW she did. There was no judging. no competing. As I started to get to know her better, she started to just get better and better. 

Aimee is so real, and you know that all you get is honesty from her. She is there to talk me out of my craziness I sometimes find myself in. She's calm. But always Excited, about something. She loves her family more than anything. She really is just the perfect friend.

We always talk about how hard it is to find a good group of girlfriends, and we are so lucky to have found them. Katie, Vee, Alicia, all the porpoises out there! 

I especially feel so blessed to have found another mama-friend. They just get it like most don't. I learn from her, and respect the mama she is. After going for so long not feeling that connection with another friend, I can't say how great it is to have Aimee. And Tim. And definitely Mason and Owen. Really, all of her family. Her parents are the kind of people you hear about, and think ' Why can't there be more people like that?'

Oh! And one more thing. There aren't very many people who understand out undying love for sea creatures!

Aimee, I love you. Thank You for being my friend. You have really helped me in becoming the mom, and Wife I am trying to be. You can find the youth of a teen in yourself , and the wisdom we only hope to have in 50 years. All at the right time.

 Happy Birthday! 

1 comment:

mames said...

i am crying right now. it means so much to me that you gave me these words to read and savor and come back to when i am low. i love you so very much, jenn, you are the best thing that has happened to me in the land of friendship. huge kisses and hugs via then net until i can see you in person to give 'em. you porpoise you.

now enter the giveaway at my blog or i will beat you with a dorsal fin.